Crime Writing Fundamentals
Have you always wanted to know how to write crime? Or do you have one underway that needs work? This workshop with crime author Sarah Barrie is suitable for anyone who wants to learn or revisit the fundamentals to writing a story that works. First, we’ll cover the all-important basics that are integral to writing regardless of genre, then turn our attention to using these tools effectively in crime writing.
Topics covered include:
- Key elements to a successful novel.
- What constitutes crime?
- The rapid expansion of the genre and scope for creating fresh new stories that get noticed.
- Thriller, suspense or mystery? Definitions, structure and what best suits your story.
- Plotting the perfect crime. From inciting incident to explosive conclusion.
- Hooking the reader: the importance of the first five pages.
- Pacing to maintain and build a suspenseful story.
- The most common mistakes aspiring crime writers make.
Bring along ideas you might have for your story or an outline of your work in progress for your own reference, as this interactive workshop will assist you in developing your project.
Also bring pen and paper or fully charged device.
More from Writing NSW
Check out our full range of in-person writing courses in Sydney, our online writing courses and our feedback programs to see how we can help you on your writing journey. Find out about our grants and prizes, as well as writing groups across NSW, and sign up to our weekly newsletter for writing events, opportunities and giveaways.