How to Write Crime
This one-day workshop with award-winning crime writer Marele Day addresses the who, what, when, where and why of crime writing, be it a private eye novel, police procedural, or psychological thriller. Explore the dark side and find out how to transform the seed of an idea into a compelling narrative that keeps the reader hooked.
Through a combination of discussion and practical exercises we will cover everything you need to know to kickstart your crime story.
Crime writing course outline:
- The rules of crime writing
- The writer as detective: doing the research
- Creating complex characters: flawed heroes and intriguing villains
- Crime scene: the importance of location and sense of place
- Crafting the story: the driving force of plot and structure
- Suspenseful writing: planting clues, withholding and revealing
Pen and paper or preferred device for writing. Please ensure your device is charged.
About the tutor
Marele Day’s four-book Claudia Valentine crime series won her a Ned Kelly Lifetime Achievement Award. Her bestselling literary gothic novel, Lambs of God, was published to international acclaim and is soon to be a major TV miniseries. Marele is a highly experienced teacher and mentor, and has served as judge for literary prizes including the […]