Date to be announced
Full Price: $200
Conc Member: $120
This workshop was originally scheduled to take place on 5 April. It has been postponed, with the future date to be announced. If you’d like to be emailed as soon as we have a new date, add your name to our waitlist here.
People who are already enrolled will receive updates via email.
The audio landscape in Australia is booming. Podcasting is a powerful and intimate medium to connect and grow an audience. Now is the time to learn how to create your own podcast and take your idea from conception to completion.
In one jam-packed day, learn how to make your podcast idea into a reality with Emma Lancaster, an award-winning audio producer who has worked on #1 Apple-ranked podcasts for the ABC including Snowball, Trace, Blood on the Tracks and more.
This podcasting course will teach you how to artfully and ethically craft a story, and is suitable for anyone interested in podcasts, journalism or storytelling.
In this course you will learn about:
- The podcasting landscape in Australia and beyond
- Tools of the trade: recorders, microphones and editing software
- Narrative design: lessons in writing for audio, tips for interviewing and story design
- Distribution and promotion: practical advice on distribution and promotion channels, including how to use social media to make sure as many people as possible hear what you have to say.
Note: while this workshop provides resources on some technical aspects of podcasting such as recording equipment and software, this isn’t a tech-focused course, and step-by-step instruction will not be provided.
Expected Learning Outcomes
- Learn how to kick start your podcasting career. From concept design, audio set up, and how to plan a series.
- Gain an understanding of equipment required to make a podcast including recorders, microphones, editing software.
- Learn how to prepare for interviews, get the most out of your talent, record good audio and how to write for the ear.
- Discover how to market and distribute a podcast.
Pen and paper, or fully charged device.
More from Writing NSW
Check out our full range of in-person writing courses in Sydney, our online writing courses and our feedback programs to see how we can help you on your writing journey. Find out about our grants and prizes, as well as writing groups across NSW, and sign up to our weekly newsletter for writing events, opportunities and giveaways.
About the tutor
Emma Lancaster is an award-winning digital storyteller who believes in the power of audio to inform, move and engage individuals and communities. She is now the executive producer at Impact Studios at the University of Technology Sydney, and previously spent five years working in broadcast radio and digital-first audio at the ABC. She undertook news […]