Writing Beautiful Sentences
Saturday 1 June, 10am-4pm
Full Price: $195
Conc Member: $120
SOLD OUT – Join the waitlist
This full-day interactive workshop with Inga Simpson explores a range of techniques for making your sentences more beautiful.
Through a combination of tuition, examples and practical exercises you’ll learn how to pare back sentences to their most essential form, wield commas and semicolons, dig deeper for that perfect image, craft descriptions that climb off the page, and make every sentence tell a story. You’ll gain more control of your sentences, a stronger sense of when to employ power, and when to exercise subtlety.
Expected Learning Outcomes
- Learn how to make plain sentences into beautiful ones.
- Develop your descriptive writing skills.
- Understand technical details of sentence construction, such as punctuation.
- Pen and paper or preferred device for writing. Please ensure your device is charged.
- Participants are asked to bring along one beautiful sentence from a writer you admire for analysis, and one of your own for workshopping, time permitting.
About the tutor
Inga Simpson is the author of Understory: a life with trees (Hachette, 2017), about her decade spent living inside a south east Queensland forest, which was shortlisted for the Adelaide Writers Week Award for Nonfiction. Her novel Where the Trees Were (Hachette, 2016) was shortlisted for an Indie Book Award, and longlisted for the 2017 Miles Franklin […]