Writing Beautiful Sentences
Saturday 1 June, 10am-4pm
Full Price: $195
Conc Member: $120
SOLD OUT – Join the waitlist
This full-day interactive workshop with Inga Simpson explores a range of techniques for making your sentences more beautiful.
Through a combination of tuition, examples and practical exercises you’ll learn how to pare back sentences to their most essential form, wield commas and semicolons, dig deeper for that perfect image, craft descriptions that climb off the page, and make every sentence tell a story. You’ll gain more control of your sentences, a stronger sense of when to employ power, and when to exercise subtlety.
Expected Learning Outcomes
- Learn how to make plain sentences into beautiful ones.
- Develop your descriptive writing skills.
- Understand technical details of sentence construction, such as punctuation.
- Pen and paper or preferred device for writing. Please ensure your device is charged.
- Participants are asked to bring along one beautiful sentence from a writer you admire for analysis, and one of your own for workshopping, time permitting.
About the tutor
Inga Simpson is the author of Where the Trees Were, Nest and Mr Wigg. Nest was longlisted for the Stella Prize and Miles Franklin Literary Award, and shortlisted for the ALS Gold Medal. She is also the winner of the 2012 Eric Rolls Nature Writing Prize. Inga has a PhD in creative writing from the […]