Applications must be submitted online via the Writing NSW website by midnight (AEST) Monday 23 November 2020.
Please submit an extract from the work you would like to be mentored for. The extract must be a minimum of 8,000 words up to a maximum of 10,000 words.
Please also attach a statement of no more than two A4 pages including:
- an outline of how you think the mentorship would benefit you and your work (maximum one paragraph)
- a description of your efforts to be a writer, including any writing courses you have participated in, any prizes you have won and any work you have had published (maximum one paragraph)
- a brief description of the project you are working on, telling us what stage you are at with it, including a chapter breakdown
Terms & Conditions
- The submission requirements form part of the Terms & Conditions.
- You must be Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander. Confirmation of Indigenous status may be required.
- You must be 18 years of age or over and an Australian resident.
- You must not have had a full-length work of fiction or narrative non-fiction professionally published or accepted for publication.
- If you have had a script, play, picture book, collection of poetry or short stories published you are eligible to apply.
- To be eligible for the mentorship, the work submitted for the mentorship cannot have been previously published in print or digital formats or be currently submitted for publication.
- If, after submission, your work is the winner of any other prize, or is accepted for publication, or self-published, you must notify Writing NSW in writing immediately, and your work may be deemed ineligible for the program and withdrawn from the judging process.
- Submissions cannot be for work prepared for a university or other qualification.
- Submitted material must be your own original work.
- Submitted work must be in English.
- It is a condition of entry that Text Publishing has the right to consider any submitted manuscript for publication under terms to be negotiated with the writer, until the winner has been announced.
- If your entry is selected for the Mentorship, you grant Text Publishing the exclusive first option to consider the work for publication. You agree to negotiate in good faith with Text Publishing to publish the work on reasonable commercial terms.
- Text Publishing does not guarantee publication of the manuscript.
- Copyright in any work you submit remains with you, but Writing NSW reserves the right to use successful applicants’ submitted work for promotion purposes.
- Your name must not appear on either the extract of your work or your accompanying statement.
- Manuscripts must be submitted as PDFs, set up as an A4 double-spaced document in 12 point Roman font with 3 cm margins and page numbers and the title on each page.
- Hardcopies / direct electronic submissions will not be accepted, nor will hand delivered submissions. Please use the online form provided.
- The successful applicant and shortlisted writers will be notified directly, and their names will be posted on the Writing NSW and Text Publishing websites.
- The decision of the judges is final. The judges will not enter into any correspondence and no individual feedback will be provided to entrants.
- By entering the Boundless Mentorship you opt in to the marketing database of Writing NSW and Text Publishing and agree to receive marketing information from it. You may opt out of these marketing databases at any time.
- The successful applicant agrees to assist Writing NSW and Text Publishing in promoting the mentorship program.
- By submitting your entry you agree to these Terms & Conditions.