Writing NSW Membership
Writing NSW is the state’s premier organisation for writers, serving writers across all genres and at all stages of their careers. As a member, you will be part of a thriving and supportive community with exclusive access to member-only programs, including networking events, writers’ groups, mentorships and competitions. You will also receive generous discounts on our courses and festivals.
Membership is $75 a year for individuals; $55 for concession (pensioner/seniors/health/student card holders), youth (aged 18-25) and regional NSW membership (200km outside Sydney); $45 for associate membership (young writers aged under 18); and $150 a year for not-for-profit organisations or $350 for corporate organisations. Please note that regional memberships are available only to those residing in NSW. Additional charges apply for postage outside Australia.
Would you like a conveniently auto-renewing annual membership? Regular and concession members are eligible – find out more!
The following benefits apply to regular, concession, regional and youth members:
- Discounted access to all Writing NSW courses, manuscript assessments, festivals and events
- Free admission to our Talking Writing nights and members-only First Friday Club industry discussions
- Exclusive access to our members-only writing groups
- Free access to the quiet writers’ spaces in beautiful and peaceful Garry Owen House, Callan Park
- Free access to our library, with its extensive collection of literary journals and other writing-related publications. Please note, our library is not a lending library.
- Exclusive opportunity to apply for the members-only mentorship program
- Exclusive opportunity to apply for the annual Writing NSW Varuna Fellowships, which offer two Writing NSW members a one-week residency at Varuna, the Writers’ House
- An affordable venue for your book launch through our members-only book launch package
- A discount on items in our bookshop, which currently resides in our office at Callan Park.
- Exclusive access to our Open House events, where Writing NSW hosts a publishing house for a day of panels, networking and the chance to meet one-on-one with a member of the editorial team to receive feedback on your manuscript.
- Discounted theatre tickets at Belvoir St Theatre through access to their industry rate and Darlinghurst Theatre Company via access to their industry rate for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night performances throughout the season. Simply ask for the industry rate when booking and show your email proof of membership when collecting tickets.
- The right to nominate candidates for the NSW Writers’ Centre Inc. Board and to vote at general meetings
*Additional charges apply for postage to an address outside Australia
Associate membership is available to young writers aged under 18.
- Associate members aged 16 and over also receive the concession member discount on eligible courses, festivals and events*
- Associate members can become full members of the organisation once they turn 18, giving them voting rights and access to the full range of Writing NSW programs.
*Please note that not all programs are suitable for people aged under 18 and admission to courses and events is at the discretion of Writing NSW.
Partner organisations can apply to become organisational members of Writing NSW.
As an organisational member, you will enjoy exclusive access to our member-only programs; receive free or discounted attendance at our events; and receive a range of other discounts and benefits. Membership is $150 a year for not-for-profit organisations or $350 for corporate organisations.
Applications are open to partner organisations who endorse Writing NSW’s aims of supporting writers and fostering writing culture. Contact us to request an application form.
Benefits of organisational membership:
- 10% discount on print advertising
- 2 member discounts to short courses/seminars per year*
- Access to our customised programs and workshops (fees apply)
- Unlimited access to our free weekly e-newsletter, Newsbite
- 2 free tickets for each Talking Writing event
- 2 member discounts to festivals per year*
- 2 invitations to our annual Christmas party
- Voting rights at general meetings for 1 nominated person
- Inclusion on list of member organisations on our website
* Regional organisations receive the concession member price for courses and festivals
An application for membership of Writing NSW can be made by people over the age of 18 who endorse the organisation’s aims of supporting writers and fostering writing culture. As a member you are agreeing to comply with our Member and Community Code of Conduct.