Online: Plotting and Suspense
This course is now SOLD OUT! Sign up for our waitlist here to find out when it’s running again. In the meantime, check out our list of current courses or sign up for our Newsbite weekly newsletter for updates.
Many writers have brilliant story ideas but don’t know where to begin. In this online workshop with bestselling author JP Pomare, you’ll learn different approaches to building a story and crafting narrative tension in fiction.
This course is constructed in a way to help develop early novel ideas by finding and pursuing potential narrative avenues, and building out a convincing story world replete with strong characters and a setting that draws readers in. We will look closely at the individual elements of fiction with a view of how these interact with plot, and establish techniques for building and maintaining tension throughout an entire novel.
You’ll undertake a variety of exercises to help you move from the initial big idea toward a developed draft full of twists that keep readers turning the pages.
This course involves submitting short writing exercises, and giving and receiving peer feedback. Participants will receive limited tutor feedback.
This interactive online course has limited places. Book early to avoid missing out.
Expected Learning Outcomes
- Learn how to develop a story idea and complete early drafts with an eye for strong narrative structure.
- Discover how elements of fiction interact, and find conflict and tension in character, setting, dialogue and plot.
- Master self-editing techniques to make your prose gripping and keep the read turning the pages.
We’ve designed this online course to meet your learning needs. You can work through the lesson material, ask questions, and engage with fellow writers throughout the course. Internet access and confidence using basic computer software are essential for this program. Please read our FAQ before enrolling.
You do not need to log into the course at a specific time and there are no live meetings. By 10am on the day this course starts, you will receive an email with an invitation link to join the online classroom.
- Participants will work through several lessons, which will open sequentially over the first few days of the course (see course dates in the blue box above).
- You can complete the lesson material in your own time.
- This course includes short writing assignments and the opportunity to give and receive peer feedback. Some of your assignments will receive tutor feedback if completed by the deadlines provided.
Please expect to spend a minimum of six hours on the course, noting that the amount of time needed to read, respond to discussions, write, revise and critique will vary from person to person.
If you have any questions, please contact us.
More from Writing NSW
Check out our full range of in-person writing courses in Sydney, our online writing courses and our feedback programs to see how we can help you on your writing journey. Find out about our grants and prizes, as well as writing groups across NSW, and sign up to our weekly newsletter for writing events, opportunities and giveaways.
About the tutor
JP Pomare’s first novel, Call Me Evie, was critically acclaimed and won the Ngaio Marsh Award for Best First Novel. His following books, In The Clearing, and Tell Me Lies, were also critically acclaimed bestsellers. His work has been published in journals including Meanjin, Kill Your Darlings, Takahe and Mascara Literary Review. He has hosted the On Writing podcast since 2015 featuring bestselling authors […]