Online: Writing From the Sentence Up
1 to 7 September 2021, online
Full Price: $210
Conc Member: $135
Regardless of genre, style or level of experience, all writers work with words and sentences as the basic units of prose. This online writing course with Emily Bitto will re-focus your writing on the level of the sentence, providing practical ways to improve your prose in both drafting and editing stages. You will learn, among other things, to write more freely and imaginatively, to strengthen your verbs, avoid cliché, master imagery and metaphor, and edit your work, and the work of others, more effectively.
This online course involves a combination of readings, writing exercises and workshopping to empower you to elevate your sentences from ordinary to sublime.
Is this course right for you? Read our FAQ >
This interactive online course has limited places. Book early to avoid missing out.
Expected Learning Outcomes
- Participants will gain a better understanding of what makes a good (or bad) sentence across a range of contexts.
- Participants will learn to read and evaluate their own and other people’s writing on a sentence level.
- Participants will finish the course with practical techniques and exercises for improving their sentences in an ongoing manner.
Internet access and confidence using basic computer software are essential for this program. Please read our FAQ before enrolling.
You do not need to log into the course at a specific time and there are no live meetings. By 10am on the day this course starts, you will receive an email with an invitation link to join the online classroom.
- Participants will work through several lessons, which will open sequentially over the first few days of the course (see course dates in the blue box above).
- You can complete the lesson material in your own time.
- This course includes short writing assignments and the opportunity to give and receive peer feedback. Some of your assignments will receive tutor feedback if completed by the deadlines provided.
Please expect to spend a minimum of six hours on the course, noting that the amount of time needed to read, respond to discussions, write, revise and critique will vary from person to person. We recommend allocating an hour a day to the course while it is running. By setting aside this time, you will get the most out of the course, and be able to engage with other participants and the tutor.
‘This course has completely changed the way I write and think about writing – in just a few days. I spent the last few months reading great historical fiction, spotting beautiful sentences and wondering “how” the authors did that. Your course definitely answered the how.’ – Birgit
‘The course had valuable lessons, the tutor’s feedback was thorough and encouraging. The online platform for the course was very accessible and convenient (I would not be able to participate face-to-face as I live in rural NSW).’ – Irina
More from Writing NSW
Check out our full range of online creative writing courses and our feedback programs to see how we can help you on your writing journey. Find out about our grants and prizes, as well as writing groups across NSW, and sign up to our weekly newsletter for writing events, opportunities and giveaways.
About the tutor
Emily Bitto is an award-winning Melbourne-based writer of fiction, poetry and non-fiction. Her debut novel, The Strays, won the 2015 Stella Prize. She has a Masters in literary studies and a PhD in creative writing from the University of Melbourne, and has been teaching creative writing for over a decade.