Online: Writing Historical Fiction
14 to 20 October 2020, online
Full Price: $200
Conc Member: $120
In this online writing historical fiction workshop, you will comprehensively explore the techniques, tricks, and pitfalls of bringing history into a narrative, in a way that enhances rather than swamps.
Writing fiction often begins with a single shining idea. Historical fiction is about setting that idea in a time and place that has existed and been recorded. The historical novelist’s art is that of weaving a new story into the old and intertwining imaginary plots into actual events and milieus.
Is this course right for you? Read our FAQ >
The workshop will also:
- help you choose your historical genre (its variants and complements)
- guide you through pertinent considerations when choosing your era
- explore story-writing techniques, including structure, setting, characterisation and narrative voice
- teach you key research techniques and methods, including the pros and cons of each
- give you feedback on your writing and suggest ways to improve
Internet access and confidence using basic computer software are essential for this program.
There are no specific times you need to be available for this course.
- There will be a new lesson posted each day while the course is running (see course dates in the blue box above).
- You can complete the lesson material in your own time.
- There will be assignments which have deadlines. To be guaranteed tutor feedback, you will need to complete the assignments by the deadline.
We recommend allocating an hour a day to the course while it is running. By setting aside this time, you will get the most out of the course, and be able to engage with other participants and the tutor.
You can find out more about the course by reading our frequently asked questions. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Get to know the tutor
If you’d like to find out more about Sulari Gentill, you can listen to this podcast episode from our friends at Better Reading here, or below.
More from Writing NSW
Check out our full range of online creative writing courses and our feedback programs to see how we can help you on your writing journey. Find out about our grants and prizes, as well as writing groups across NSW, and sign up to our weekly newsletter for writing events, opportunities and giveaways.
About the tutor
Sulari Gentill is the author of ten published novels, including the Rowland Sinclair Mysteries, a series of historical crime novels chronicling the life and adventures of her 1930s Australian gentleman artist, and the Hero Trilogy, based on the myths and epics of the ancient world. Sulari has contributed articles to a number of magazines and […]
- children's books
- Creative Non-fiction
- creative writing
- crime fiction
- Education Writing
- grammar and punctuation
- Middle Grade Fiction
- novel writing
- online writing course
- personal essays
- Picture Books
- Professional Development
- reading like a writer
- short stories
- speculative fiction
- writing emotions
- writing trauma
- Young Adult
- Course Level