Online: Writing Historical Fiction
14 to 20 October 2020, online
Full Price: $200
Conc Member: $120
In this online writing historical fiction workshop, you will comprehensively explore the techniques, tricks, and pitfalls of bringing history into a narrative, in a way that enhances rather than swamps.
Writing fiction often begins with a single shining idea. Historical fiction is about setting that idea in a time and place that has existed and been recorded. The historical novelist’s art is that of weaving a new story into the old and intertwining imaginary plots into actual events and milieus.
Is this course right for you? Read our FAQ >
The workshop will also:
- help you choose your historical genre (its variants and complements)
- guide you through pertinent considerations when choosing your era
- explore story-writing techniques, including structure, setting, characterisation and narrative voice
- teach you key research techniques and methods, including the pros and cons of each
- give you feedback on your writing and suggest ways to improve
Internet access and confidence using basic computer software are essential for this program. Please read our FAQ before enrolling.
About the tutor
Sulari Gentill is the author of ten published novels, including the Rowland Sinclair Mysteries, a series of historical crime novels chronicling the life and adventures of her 1930s Australian gentleman artist, and the Hero Trilogy, based on the myths and epics of the ancient world. Sulari has contributed articles to a number of magazines and […]