Online: Writing Historical Fiction
Wednesday 21 July to 27 July 2021, online
Full Price: $210
Conc Member: $135
In this historical fiction workshop with Sulari Gentill, you will comprehensively explore the techniques, tricks, and pitfalls of bringing history into a narrative, in a way that enhances rather than swamps.
Writing fiction often begins with a single shining idea. Historical fiction is about setting that idea in a time and place that has existed and been recorded. The historical novelist’s art is that of weaving a new story into the old and intertwining imaginary plots into actual events and milieus.
Is this course right for you? Read our FAQ >
The workshop will also:
- help you choose your historical genre (its variants and complements)
- guide you through pertinent considerations when choosing your era
- explore story-writing techniques, including structure, setting, characterisation and narrative voice
- teach you key research techniques and methods, including the pros and cons of each
- give you feedback on your writing and suggest ways to improve
We’ve designed this online course to meet your learning needs. You can work through the lesson material, ask questions, and engage with fellow writers throughout the course. Internet access and confidence using basic computer software are essential for this program. Please read our FAQ before enrolling.
Expect to spend a minimum of six hours on the course, noting that the amount of time needed to read, respond to discussions, write, revise and critique will vary from person to person.
You do not need to log into the course at a specific time and there are no live meetings. You will receive an email with an invitation link to join the online classroom by 10am on the day the course starts.
- Participants will work through several lessons, which will open sequentially over the first few days of the course (see course dates in the blue box above).
- You can complete the lesson material in your own time.
- This course includes short writing assignments and the opportunity to give and receive peer feedback and some tutor feedback.
Get to know the tutor
If you’d like to find out more about Sulari Gentill, you can listen to this podcast episode from our friends at Better Reading here.
More from Writing NSW
Check out our full range of online creative writing courses and our feedback programs to see how we can help you on your writing journey. Find out about our grants and prizes, as well as writing groups across NSW, and sign up to our weekly newsletter for writing events, opportunities and giveaways.
About the tutor
Sulari Gentill is the author of ten published novels, including the Rowland Sinclair Mysteries, a series of historical crime novels chronicling the life and adventures of her 1930s Australian gentleman artist, and the Hero Trilogy, based on the myths and epics of the ancient world. Sulari has contributed articles to a number of magazines and […]