Online: Writing Poetry
Wednesday 18 October to Tuesday 24 October 2023, online
Full Price: $210
Conc Member: $135
This poetry writing course with Vanessa Kirkpatrick will be held online.
The much-esteemed Irish poet, Seamus Heaney, wrote that the moment he put his ‘feeling into words’ marked the discovery of his poetic voice. In this week-long online poetry workshop with Vanessa Kirkpatrick, you will explore ways of tapping into and strengthening your authentic voice. We will also reflect on poetic metaphor’s talent for communicating intense emotion and experience.
Through a series of exercises as well as discussion of pertinent published examples, we will look at what lends poetry its particular power to resonate in our hearts and minds.
Is this course right for you? Read our FAQ >
Expected Learning Outcomes
- Learn about aspects of poetry writing with a focus on metaphor
- Practise several techniques for generating new ideas for their writing through a series of exercises
- Learn effective techniques for editing their own writing.
Internet access and confidence using basic computer software are essential for this program. Please read our FAQ before enrolling.
You do not need to log into the course at a specific time and there are no live meetings. You will receive an email with an invitation link to join the online classroom by 10am on the day the course starts.
- Participants will work through several lessons, which will open sequentially over the first few days of the course (see course dates in the blue box above).
- You can complete the lesson material in your own time.
- This course includes short writing assignments and the opportunity to give and receive peer feedback. Some assignments will receive tutor feedback if completed by the deadlines provided.
Please expect to spend a minimum of six hours on the course, noting that the amount of time needed to read, respond to discussions, write, revise and critique will vary from person to person. We recommend allocating an hour a day to the course while it is running. By setting aside this time, you will get the most out of the course, and be able to engage with other participants and the tutor.
More from Writing NSW
Check out our full range of online writing courses and our feedback programs to see how we can help you on your writing journey. Find out about our writing groups across NSW, and sign up to our weekly newsletter for writing events, opportunities and giveaways.
About the tutor
Vanessa Kirkpatrick is an award-winning poet and writer. Her first poetry collection, To Catch the Light, won the John Knight Poetry Manuscript Prize and was Commended for the Anne Elder Award. Her second collection, The Conversation of Trees, was published in 2017. Vanessa has a PhD in English literature and is an experienced teacher and […]