Online: Book Publicity for Authors
Wednesday 13 May 2020, 6:30-8:30pm
Full Price: $60
Conc Member: $35
Please note, this seminar will run online, using the platform Zoom, on Wednesday 13 May.
So, you’ve finished writing your book and are preparing to publish it – congratulations! Now comes the real challenge – getting it into the hands of readers. Join publicist Léa Antigny for insights and advice on how book publicity really works.
Over her career, Léa has managed media campaigns for many beloved Australian authors, including Kim Scott, Di Morrissey, Fiona Wright, Krissy Kneen, and international authors including Elena Ferrante, Mary Norris, Pamela Paul and Ta-Nehisi Coates.
In this seminar, she will cover:
- Maintaining a fun and effective social media presence to assist in promoting yourself and your book
- Using social media to find your community and network with booksellers, other authors and publishers
- Tips for writing a good press release
- Finding and framing the best media angles for yourself and your book
- Understanding the media: the avenues available for coverage of various genres and authors, media lead times and requirements
- Connecting with booksellers in person
Expected Learning Outcomes
- The essential information for writing an effective press release for your book
- An understanding of Australian media outlets that will potentially cover your book
- How to best utilise social media as a promotional and networking tool
Pen and paper, or fully charged device. Please note, basic instruction on creating and using social media platforms will not be provided.
More from Writing NSW
Check out our full range of in-person writing courses in Sydney, our online writing courses and our feedback programs to see how we can help you on your writing journey. Find out about our grants and prizes, as well as writing groups across NSW, and sign up to our weekly newsletter for writing events, opportunities and giveaways.
About the tutor
Léa Antigny is a publicist and writer with nine years’ experience in the publishing industry. She has worked on media campaigns for local and international authors across genres including literary fiction, non-fiction, illustrated and lifestyle. She is Head of Publicity and Communications at Pantera Press and has previously worked at Text Publishing, Giramondo Publishing and […]