Online: Open House
This event is SOLD OUT.
Due to the high amount of EOIs we received, we will not be opening a public waitlist for this event. If you submitted an EOI and did not receive a place, you have been put on a waitlist, and will be notified if any spaces become available. If you have submitted an EOI, you should have received an email from us informing you of the outcome. Didn’t receive an email? Contact us here>>
How does a publishing house work? Ever wondered how a publisher decides whether or not to commission a work? Interested in getting feedback on your submission?
On Friday 31 July, Writing NSW presents this special online event with Penguin Random House.
Hear from Penguin Random House publishers as they take you through how a book gets published from submission to acquisition, editorial, publicity and sales in a series of Zoom panel sessions from 10am-12:15pm.
In the afternoon, you will have the opportunity to receive feedback on your submission in a one-on-one phone call with an editor. Penguin Random House will read your submission prior to the event. In a one-on-one 15-minute phone discussion, you will receive feedback, which may include advice on refining your submission, whether it is in the correct genre, appropriate length, etc.
This event will take place using Zoom. Internet access and confidence using basic computer software are essential for this program.
To submit an expression of interest, you must have a completed manuscript in one of the following genres:
Commercial and literary fiction (excluding science-fiction and fantasy), non-fiction, young adult fiction (all genres), middle grade, and children’s books.
Penguin Random House will NOT consider the following:
Science fiction and fantasy (adult only), poetry, plays, illustrated adult books, cookbooks or educational materials.
If enrolled, you will need to submit the following by Friday 26 June 2020, 5pm
- the first 3200 words (or less) of your manuscript
- a synopsis of your work, maximum 300 words
- a note about yourself as a writer, maximum 150 words
How to enrol
Please note, this event has sold out.
- Return to this page on Monday 25 May from 9am to submit your expression of interest via Jotform.
- You must be available for the morning panel sessions and the one-on-one phone appointment, which will be 15 minutes and take place any time from 1-2:30pm.
- You will need to submit your name, contact details and the genre of your manuscript.
- Enrolments will close when we have filled all places. This event books out quickly! Please note, we will give priority to regional members.
- If we are able to book you into the event, you will receive a booking confirmation email with an invoice. You will then need to make your credit card payment within 48 hours, or your spot will be offered to another writer. Please note, this payment is not eligible for refund or credit.
This opportunity is open to Writing NSW members only. Not a member? Join here before submitting your EOI.
More from Writing NSW
Check out our full range of in-person writing courses in Sydney, our online writing courses and our feedback programs to see how we can help you on your writing journey. Find out about our grants and prizes, as well as writing groups across NSW, and sign up to our weekly newsletter for writing events, opportunities and giveaways.
About the tutor
Penguin Random House
We celebrate writers, stories and ideas that entertain, educate and inspire. From future classics to cherished favourites, we champion emerging voices and bring readers the highest-quality books from established, award-winning and bestselling authors. Penguin Random House, the world’s largest trade book publisher, is dedicated to its mission of nourishing a universal passion for reading by […]