Writing Beloved Books for Children
Participants in face to face courses must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and must comply with any other precautionary measures Writing NSW puts in place.
Are you passionate about writing stories for children? Do you want to know the key ingredients for creating a successful children’s book? How does the children’s book industry work and what are the secrets to getting your book published?
In this dynamic, hands-on workshop, Belinda Murrell will guide participants through the craft and practicalities of writing for children, the key components of storytelling, lessons learned from her writing career, understanding the market and the publishing process. The course aims to give participants a realistic understanding of the children’s publishing industry, including an insight into emerging trends, genres and conventions, industry changes and perennial favourites. Writing exercises and workshop activities will help you explore critical skills, techniques, tips and tricks to chase your dream of writing your own beloved book for children.
Topics covered will include:
- Understanding the market – target audience, trends, and gatekeepers
- The writing process – craft, devices and techniques
- Word count, themes, genres and conventions for differing age ranges
- Ingredients for a successful story
- Creating captivating characters
- Narrative structure
- Plotting and planning
- Building tension and increasing the stakes
- Voice and dialogue
- Navigating the publishing process
- Do you need an agent?
- How to make your book stand out from the crowd
Is this course right for you? Read our FAQ >
This workshop takes place at Writing NSW in Sydney.
Expected learning outcomes
- Explore how to create characters that young readers will love.
- Learn how to plot, craft and structure your story to keep young readers turning the pages long into the night.
- Gain knowledge of the children’s publishing industry, including trends, genres, themes and conventions.
Kids & YA Festival – Saturday 25 June at Writing NSW
Belinda Murrell is the director of our Writing NSW Kids & YA Festival, held on Saturday 25 June. Why not come along to the Saturday program of events, and enjoy Belinda’s ‘Writing Beloved Books for Children’ course the next day? Tickets for the festival can be purchased here.
Please read our FAQ before enrolling.
Pen and paper, or fully charged device.
If you have questions about this course and/or COVID-safe guidelines, please contact us.
More from Writing NSW
Check out our full range of in-person writing courses in Sydney, our online writing courses and our feedback programs to see how we can help you on your writing journey. Find out about our grants and prizes, as well as writing groups across NSW, and sign up to our weekly newsletter for writing events, opportunities and giveaways.
About the tutor
Belinda Murrell worked as a travel writer and journalist before becoming the award-winning author of more than 35 books, ranging from picture books and junior fiction to adult non-fiction. Belinda’s books include Meet Zoe and Zac, popular series The Sun Sword, Lulu Bell and Pippa’s Island, and historical novels The Ivory Rose, The Locket of […]