Interested in this course? Sign up for our waitlist here to find out when it’s running again. In the meantime, check out our list of current courses or sign up for our Newsbite weekly newsletter for updates.
Participants in face to face courses must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and must comply with any other precautionary measures Writing NSW puts in place.
Podcasting is a relatively new and dynamic medium that has energised audio production in Australia and internationally. It combines the strengths of traditional media with democratic forms of distribution, which means, in the words of Deborah Frances-White, host of the wildly successful Guilty Feminist podcast, “It’s radio no one stops you making.”
Learn how to make your podcast idea into a reality with Lea Redfern, an award-winning and internationally broadcast audio producer. Lea learned her craft over years as a features producer with the ABC’s Radio National. More recently, she has honed her teaching skills at the University of Sydney. Her courses are accessible, practical and rigorous.
This course will teach you how to artfully and ethically craft a story, and is suitable for anyone interested in podcasts, journalism or storytelling.
In this course you will learn about:
- The podcasting landscape in Australia and beyond
- Common ‘traps for young players’ and how to avoid them
- How the skills you already have relate to podcasting
- How to focus your ideas for podcasting
- Tools of the trade: recorders, microphones and editing software
- Narrative design: lessons in writing for audio, tips for interviewing and story design
- Distribution and promotion: practical advice on distribution and promotion channels
Note: while this workshop provides resources on some technical aspects of podcasting such as recording equipment and software, this isn’t a tech-focused course, and step-by-step instruction will not be provided.
Is this course right for you? Read our FAQ >
This workshop takes place at Writing NSW in Sydney.
Expected learning outcomes
- Learn how to kick start your podcasting project. From concept design, audio set up, and how to plan a series.
- Gain an understanding of equipment required to make a podcast including recorders, microphones, editing software.
- Learn how to prepare for interviews, produce strong interviews, record quality audio and how to write for the ear.
- Discover how to promote and distribute a podcast.
Please read our FAQ before enrolling.
Pen and paper, or fully charged device. A smart phone is encouraged, but not required. Headphones that attach to your smart phone are similarly encouraged, but not required.
If you have questions about this course and/or COVID-safe guidelines, please contact us.
More from Writing NSW
Check out our full range of in-person writing courses in Sydney, our online writing courses and our feedback programs to see how we can help you on your writing journey. Find out about our grants and prizes, as well as writing groups across NSW, and sign up to our weekly newsletter for writing events, opportunities and giveaways.
About the tutor
Lea Redfern is a lecturer with the Department of Media and Communications at the University of Sydney, specialising in audio and podcasting. Lea is known for her innovative creative and student-centred teaching. She is passionate about the possibilities of audio and energised by the creative freedom of podcasting.